Rumson is situated on a picturesque peninsula overlooking the ocean. The Navesink and Shrewsbury Rivers bound it.
Legend has it that the borough's name is derived from early settlers who bought the land from the Native Americans in exchange for some rum. But as far back as 1663, long before the area was officially named Rumson, Native Americans called it "Navarumsunk". Over the years it has been shortened to "Rumson", though sources also talk of a Chief Alumson as a source of the name. Other names Rumson has been known by include Black Point, Port Washington, and Oceanic.
Rumson was purchased by English settlers in pieces. The first purchase is dated January 25, 1665, and it included parts of Middletown. The rest of the area was purchased later that year.
Rumson is known for its many sprawling turn-of-the-century estates located along the shores of the Navesink and Shrewsbury rivers and along historic Rumson Road, which serves as one of Rumson's main thoroughfares. Rumson's many old estates were built as summer homes for wealthy New York bankers and industrialists. The oldest of Rumson's homes was the Tredwell House, named after a family that summered here for almost 100 years. The oldest part of the house being from 1670 once occupied 700 acres (2.8 km); it was the second oldest building in Monmouth County as of June 2006, when it was destroyed by fire.
In the 19th century Rumson's summer residents enjoyed many activities, such as swimming and boating in the adjacent Navesink River and the Atlantic Ocean, or taking a wagon ride. In winter, residents used the river for ice boating.
Public parks include Meadowridge Park, Piping Rock Park, Riverside Park, Rogers Park, "Teddy's Playground" at Victory Park, and West Park.The Rumson Country Club is a consolidation of the Rumson Polo Club and the Meadow Yacht Club and the Sea Bright Yacht Club. Bingham Hall serves as a center for social gatherings, recreational activities, and fundraisers.
Public school students in ninth through twelfth grades attend Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School, a regional, four-year comprehensive public high school serving students from both Fair Haven and Rumson, where the school is located.
NICHE 2017 Overall Grade A-
A Deane Porter School K-3
A Forrestdale School 4-8
A Rumson Fair Haven Regional High School #68 Best Public High School in NJ
Private schools in Rumson include Holy Cross School for grades K-8, which operates under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Trenton. In 2015, Holy Cross School was one of 15 schools in New Jersey, and one of six private schools, recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School in the exemplary high performing category by the US Department of Education.
Founded in 1926 and developed under the principles of its organizer B. Lord Buckley, Rumson Country Day School serves students in preschool through eighth grade and was recognized in 1999 by the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program.
Borough Hall: 80 East River Road Rumson, NJ 07760 732-842-3300
Construction and Zoning 732-842-3022
Public Works 732-842-8941
Electric: JCP&L 800-662-3115
Gas: NJ Natural Gas 800-221-0051
Water: NJ American Water 800-272—1325
Many of Rumson's residents commute to Wall Street on the high-speed SeaStreak ferry that leaves from nearby Atlantic Highlands. The ferry ride is 40 minutes to the foot of Wall Street or an hour to Midtown Manhattan.
NJ Transit offers local bus service on the 835 route.